We Can Help You

Hurricane Matthew Flood ClaimsLet our appraiser, rather than the one hired by the insurance company, give you a fair appraisal of your loss. We will evaluate your residential or business loss and negotiate a complete settlement of your flood policy claim. You will be involved in every step of the process but with the support of our legal and estimation team.

While there are public adjusters who work independently of insurance companies that you may hire, with our legal team you get the benefit of both an adjuster and multiple attorneys representing your interests.

Why hire a sole adjuster when you can retain an entire legal team with an adjuster on staff  – at the same cost? In fact, you owe us nothing if we are unable to increase the insurance company’s initial offer. Better yet, we only take a percentage of the additional amount we are able to negotiate. We stake no claim to the amount you could get without us. Simply put, we are only paid on the difference between the original and final offers. There is little to no risk to you, the insured. As such, our involvement is a win-win for all parties.

When the time comes to negotiate a settlement – and make no mistake, when dealing with an insurance company, it is a negotiation – all of the resources of our legal team can be brought to bear. Namely, we have the option to litigate, as attorneys on our team are licensed to practice law in North Carolina. The insurance company knows that. While no one wants to go to trial, we will not hesitate to do so if justice demands. If you are instead working with just an independent adjuster, you can bet that the insurance company knows he or she does not enjoy such leverage.

We are dedicated to helping North Carolina recover from Hurricane Matthew. Full and fair payments to victims from flood insurance companies are a critical part of that recovery. We want to make sure that happens.

Consultation is free. Contact us today by filling out our form below or by calling us at 252.523.3000.

Contact Us

Your Name (required)

Email Address (required)

Phone Number

Do You Have Flood Insurance?

 Yes No

Have you filed a Proof of Loss?

 Yes No

Your Question or Comments

*We are not your attorneys until we sign a written contract.


Community Events

Next Community Meeting:
Information Coming Soon

Co-hosted by The Whitley Law Firm and Crouse Law Offices, attendees will hear from attorney Jim Crouse as well as Louisiana flood insurance attorney J.R. Whaley live via Skype from Baton Rouge. Whaley will offer a preview of what Hurricane Matthew victims may expect over the coming months, based on his experience after the Baton Rouge flooding disaster. Unfortunately, J.R. reports that insurance companies in Louisiana are consistently offering at least 50% less than what independent adjusters estimate losses to be. This is something those recovering from Hurricane Matthew should keep in mind when going through the insurance claims negotiation process.

We hope you can join us at the meeting. Attendance is free. Please RSVP to attend in person by emailing jcrouse@tlylaw.com.

If you aren’t able to attend a meeting in person or would like to share information with family, friends and neighbors, you can watch a previous meeting below.

Our Team

Whitley-Law-Firm-FloodWhitley Law Firm
Eastern North Carolina

louisiana attorney jr whaleyAttorney J.R. Whaley
Baton Rouge, Louisiana

attorney tom youngAttorney Tom Young
Tampa, Florida

attorney james crouseAttorney James Crouse
Raleigh, North Carolina

Frequently Asked Questions

Standard homeowner’s insurance policies do not cover flood damage.

A standard flood policy covers up to $250,000 for the structure of the home and $100,000 for personal possessions. Structural damages are calculated using either replacement cost, which will pay the amount needed to rebuild or repair the home to the condition it was in prior to the flooding or actual cash value which will only pay the replacement cost minus the depreciation. Whether your policy is a replacement or actual cash value depends on the value of your home and the size of your insurance policy.  Damages to personal possessions, however, are calculated using actual cash value. In other words, the older the possessions are, the less value the homeowner will be able to recover. Excess flood policies to cover damages in excess of $250,000 in structural damage and $100,000 in damages to personal property are available.

A flood insurance policy is obtained from an insurer that is authorized to issue and administer policies through the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP), a program established by Congress in 1968 to help provide means for homeowners to protect themselves. It is typically an insurance company who issues and administers the policy. Some policies are also issued directly by FEMA

The federal government, through FEMA, issues some monetary relief, up to $33,000, for people affected by the flood. But that relief is not for flood policy claims.

The adjuster is not a federal employee. The adjuster is likely hired by your insurance company to adjust claims or works for a company contracted by your insurance company to do that.
No. To begin the claims process, you need to inform your insurance company of the loss. Filing a claim for relief with FEMA is not the same thing. If you do not know your insurer or cannot reach your agent, call the NFIP Claims Call Center at 1-800-621-3362.
Yes. And those time limits are strictly enforced. You have to file a Proof of Loss within 60 days of the loss. Although requests are frequently made to extend the 60-day filing deadline, no request has yet to be granted. Homeowners should not rely upon the possible extension. Homeowners should file their claims as quickly as possible, but only after ensuring that the full value of their losses is considered.
This is different. Unlike other claims in North Carolina, flood claims are governed by a different set of rules. And before filing suit (if the insurance company does not properly pay a claim), all of these rules must be followed. Failure to timely file a Proof of Loss will likely result in dismissal of any lawsuit.
The Notice of Loss put the insurer on notice that you have a claim. The Proof of Loss is the actual calculation of the value of the claim and the “Net Amount Claimed” under the policy. That Proof of Loss has to be signed by the insured. Before submitting and signing a Proof of Loss, you want to make sure that all costs are included. Remember that the adjuster who is coming to your home to do the estimation does not work for you. He works for the insurance company. You might want to confirm that the full value of your claim is being submitted by having an independent estimation done.
No. Your insurance company does not have to pay the amount claimed. Like any other property loss, the insurance company might evaluate your losses differently and pay less than what you claim are the costs of repair.
Call the NFIP Claims Call Center at 1-800-621-3362, with information about your flooded property.
If you have timely submitted the Notice of Loss and Proof of Loss forms, you must file suit within one year of the partial or total denial of your claim. That suit has to be filed in federal court.



Victory! FEMA Extends Hurricane Matthew Proof of Loss Deadline 60 days

After petitioning The White House and conducting a massive social media campaign on Facebook and Twitter where we contacted dozens of local, state and federal elected officials, it was announced...

Read More

FEMA: Extend Hurricane Matthew Proof of Loss Deadline

This morning I created a petition on Whitehouse.gov asking that the Federal Emergency Management Administration (FEMA) issue an extension of at least 60 days for Hurricane Matthew flood victims to...

Read More

Public Adjuster or Attorney? Who should I hire for my North Carolina flood insurance claim?

While there are public adjusters who work independently of insurance companies that North Carolina flood victims may hire after Hurricane Matthew, by instead hiring a law firm with an adjuster on...

Read More